Episode 25 – October 22, 2015
Listen to the MP3 Audio or watch the YouTube video below:
Subscribe to our podcast feed
Connect with Us!
Topics from this week’s show
- Deal Reached with Yahoo Search deal
- iOS 9.1 Update You might want to hold off on upgrading
- 2015 worst year for OS X Malware
- Apple removes 250 iOS apps with Ad SDK that collects personal data
- Younger generation wants electric cars
- US will require drones to be registered KnowBeforeYouFly.org
- Top 15 tech wish list items for holiday 2015
- iFixit teardown of the new iMac–no longer upgradable
- Apple ordered to pay $234 million to University of Wisconsin over patent lawsuit
- Google Ventures CEO says to share your DNA
- Question from Jason – He just switched from a contract Verizon phone to a pre-paid Verizon phone (Nexus E). He wanted to know the differences between the prepaid phones (cheaper) to the flagship phones. We feel that for basic uses, the prepaid phone will be plenty for anyone. If you are going to be doing a lot of gaming or specialized apps that require a lot of power, or wanting 4K video you may want a high-end flagship phone. Jason paid $60 for his Nexus E and that is a great deal.
- Jason also asked about where to find cases for these basic phones. These are hard to find in the stores. Going to the internet (like Amazon) would be the best bet.
- Jason asked about antivirus for Android smartphones. There are a lot of choices. Bruce recommends TrendMicro or Bitdefender.
- Samsung to Announce Galaxy S7 in January
- Asus interested in making their own version of HoloLens
- Asteroid to buzz by on October 31st
- Solarwinds to be acquired by equity firm that has ownership in Dell–more enterprise for Dell?
- Black Friday computer deals from Dell
- Microsoft buys Israeli companies
- Woman tosses original Apple computer
- Brain research to make robots think like humans
- Google to pay business to switch to Google Apps
- Someone uploaded their entire collection of Kmart background music
Hack of the Week
This Week in Tech History
October 21, 2015 – This Year
Back to the Future Day, the day in which Marty McFly and “Doc” Emmett Brown traveled to from the year 1985 in the DeLorean time machine. Check out this article of things they got right (and wrong) about 2015.
Toyota also got into the Back to the Future day spirit as well – http://www.toyota.com/outatime/
The “Real” This Week in Tech History
October 19, 1985 – 30 Years Ago
The first Blockbuster opened its doors in Dallas, TX. Read more
Picks of the Week