The Google search bar on the home screen is an in-built feature of stock Android. Even if your phone has its own custom UI, as in Samsung, Sony, Huawei, Xiaomi, etc. chances are that you will still find the search bar on your home screen. While some users find these quite useful, others consider it to be un-aesthetic and wastage of space. If you are one of them, then this article is for you.
Why remove the Google search bar from Android Homescreen?
Google Assistant .
Remove the Google Search bar from Android Homescreen
1. Directly from the Home Screen
If you are not using stock Android but rather a device that has its own custom UI then you can directly remove the Google Search bar from the home screen. Different brands like Samsung, Sony, Huawei have slightly different methods to do this. Let us now look at them individually.
For Samsung Devices
1. Tap and hold on the Google search bar until you see a pop-up option to remove from the home screen shows up.
2. Now simply click on the option and the search bar will be gone.
For Sony Devices
1. Tap and hold on the home screen for some time.
2. Now continue pressing the Google search bar on the screen until the option to remove from home screen pops up.
3. Click on the option and the bar will be removed.
For Huawei Devices
1. Tap and hold the Google search bar until the remove option pops up on the screen.
2. Now simply click on the Remove button and the search bar will get removed.
Note that if you wish to bring back the search bar on your home screen, you can easily do that from widgets. The process to add the Google search bar is exactly similar to that of any other widget.
2. Disable the Google App
If your phone does not allow you to directly remove the search bar by using the method described above, then you can always try to disable the Google app. However, if your device uses stock Android, as in the case of smartphones made by Google like Pixel or Nexus, then this method will not work.
1. Go to the Settings of your phone.
2. Now click on the Apps option.
3. Search for Google from the list of apps and tap on it.
4. Now click on the Disable option.
3. Use a Custom Launcher
Another way to remove the Google search bar is to use a custom launcher. You can also make other changes to the layout and icons of your device using a custom launcher. It allows you to have a unique and personalized UI. Think of a launcher as an app that allows you to customize your device and change the appearance of your home screen. It also allows you to change the way in which you interact with your phone. If you are using stock Android like in Pixel or Nexus, then this is the only way to remove the Google search bar from the screen.
Nova Launcher and Google Now Launcher. Just make sure that whichever launcher you decide to use is compatible with the Android version on your device.
4. Use a Custom ROM
If you are not afraid to root your phone, then you can always opt for a custom ROM. A ROM is like a replacement of the firmware provided by the manufacturer. It flushes the original UI and takes its place. The ROM now uses the stock Android and becomes the default UI on the phone. A custom ROM allows you to make a lot of changes and customization and most certainly allows you to remove Google search bar from your home screen.
How to Kill Android Apps Running in the Background
I hope the steps were helpful and you will be able to remove the Google Search bar from Android Homescreen easily. If you still have any questions regarding this tutorial then feel free to ask them in the comment section.